Quilts

 I love old quilts! Chuck and I were visiting an antique store in Belleville when I saw this one hanging on a rack. The pattern is called "Sunbonnet Lady". I don't know how old it is but it's in very good condition with little wear. I have it in the guest bedroom as I thought it would look best on an antique bed.
 A friend gave me this quilt 30 years ago. It had been her daughters crib quilt. I did not want to take it but she insisted. I believe it is around 40 years old. It's in surprisingly good shape for a quilt that was well used.
 This quilt was given to my parents for a wedding shower gift 58 years ago. My Mum's aunt made it for them. My Great Aunt made all her own clothes and used the scraps for this quilt. My Mum remembers some of the dresses that the scraps came from. Growing up I remember this quilt on my parent's bed. It was well used and it shows!

This quilt was given to my parent's on their 25th wedding anniversary. My Oma (my Dad's Mum) made it with her church quilting group. It is 33 years old and in decent shape. It is from the 1980's when brown was very popular. My parents probably used it for 10 years and then passed it along to Chuck and I. We used it for a few years and then I put it away.

It is remarkable to me the amount of work that goes into each quilt. I am not a sewer so to me this is an incredible feat. Some of the blogs I  read feature ladies who are so crafty. I admire them very much. I found a wonderful book at a thrift store titled "Ontario's Heritage Quilts" by Marilyn I. Walker. What a beautiful book! The photos of the quilts are breathtaking.

Warm and sunny today with the weekend looking to be the same. Chuck finished painting the family room yesterday so photos to come when we hang all the pictures back up.

Take care and have a wonderful weekend.

                                                                   Robin

Comments

  1. Your quilts are beautiful and how special that they have been in your family.
    Ken's sister makes beautiful quilts. I wish she would make me one. : ) I've asked but so far have not gotten one.
    I have a few quilts myself, one that my mother had made for me by a friend years ago which I love. I've always wished I could make one but I just don't enjoy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I do love them.
      I don't enjoy sewing either. I am all thumbs!
      Take care and have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. I love to look at quilts, but don't have any. Quilting is something my mom once talked about getting into, but I don't think she ever did. I don't think anyone in my family quilted, actually.

    Some years back I saw an incredible collection of quilts at the National Art Gallery in Ottawa...maybe it's a permanent exhibit, I can't recall. The history of quilting really is the history of women, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my Oma saying she had quilted from the time she was a little girl. I don't know what happened to me, I did not inherit the crafty gene! My other grandmother could knit, sew etc...
      My Mum is very crafty too.
      I would love to see a quilt collection! We had a show in Brighton about a month ago but the only day it was here we had visitors who I know would not have appreciated being dragged off to it!
      You are so right about quilts being the history of women.
      Take care and have a nice weekend, Kim.

      Delete
  3. love all your quilts. It's nice that you are displaying them. Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill!. I just love to look at them. Have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  4. What beautiful quilts, I especially like the sun bonnet one and the wedding one your aunt made, very special xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! I feel very privileged to have them. Take care and enjoy your weekend!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts