"Splish, Splash I Was Taking A Bath"

We are into another week of hot, humid weather starting today. Chuck leaves for work at 6:30 a.m so I headed outside to water the gardens and fill the bird feeders and baths as soon as he left. Pardon the pole.
I came back inside just after 7:00 and noticed on the thermometer it was already in the upper 70's. I looked out the kitchen window and saw Mama Robin watching over her baby having a bath.
He/she was having a good time.
I doubt there is much water left in the bath!
A Grackle tried to butt in but the baby wouldn't let it.
Must feel good!
The water I put in was very cold.
The Grackle used one of the other three bird baths I have around the yard.
All done!
My pots of flowers are doing well. I keep the one on the right for the squirrels. I find if I leave one for them with just dirt in it they will leave my other pots alone and dig in that one. Something is coming up in it. Whatever a squirrel buried I guess! I took this photo a couple of mornings ago when it was quite cool.
Bluejay enjoying the sunshine.
Mr Squirrel enjoying his peanuts.
The cardinals come and eat around supper time. I hear them when I am in the kitchen making supper.
I am not sure if this is the female or a young one standing with the male. Hard to tell.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. Take care and stay cool.
Robin

Comments

  1. The pics of the young robin are especially wonderful, I love the spray of water and how s/he looks, all done, disheveled but cooler. :-)

    I can well imagine your squirrels "melting" off the tree branches and feeders today. Actually, it might be too hot to hang off a (metal) feeder pole!

    Take care, keep cool. Remember growing up, running through the sprinkler? Oh, I'd love to do that today! LOL. I also remember drinking water from the garden hose, which today is a no-no. Well, I survived just fine! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By mid afternoon the feeders are pretty quiet. Just too hot for anyone to be out, especially black furred squirrels!
      I do remember running through sprinklers growing up. You just don't see kids doing that anymore. And yes I drank out of rubber hoses too. Think of the hundreds of gallons of water we drank. Granted it didn't taste the best but it was cold and wet.
      Talk soon Kim.

      Delete
  2. The birds will definitely need the water these next few days, with the "heat dome" sitting over a large swath of the U.S. Cool, clean birds are happy birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fill four bird baths twice a day and sometimes again before bed for the nighttime critters. They are very well used!
      Stay cool!

      Delete
  3. What a nice squirrel you have that just digs in that one pot!!
    I bet the birds are loving those baths on those hot days. I still amazes me that it gets that hot where you are!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned the hard way to put out this extra pot for the squirrel!
      The bird baths are very busy with all this hot weather. I don't ever remember a summer as hot and dry as this. I think I would prefer it where you live Karen!

      Delete
  4. What a good idea, leaving one pot of dirt for the squirrels.
    That baby Robin had a blast, didn't it? I find the back yard bird bath here is enjoying lots of use. I even saw a trio of birds I couldn't identify. They were Thrushes I'm pretty sure, but which ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the squirrels have left my other pots alone. Ah, I probably jinxed it now!
      Always interesting seeing a new kind of bird at your feeders or baths.

      Delete
  5. I love to watch birds bathing and come to think of it, it's been a while since I've seen one. We are seeing less and less birds. Poppy says it is because of Smokey, our outside cat. We used to have lots of birds and every birdhouse was used in the summer. Since we adopted Smokey, the birds stay away and not one of our birdhouses had been used. Your pictures are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too Henny! I can't say this year I have seen many birds bathing either. Maybe they are bathing early in the morning and later at night.
      Have a good week!

      Delete
  6. Love your bird photos! they sure look to be having fun splashing in the cold water. The squirrels here stole all our sunflower seeds as well as many others. We replanted some but not all and covered with mesh stuff to keep them out until the plants got a good start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do love watching the birds bathe. It is tough to keep the squirrels out of plants. We seem to have a truce here. I feed them , they stay out of my plants!

      Delete
  7. That was wonderful, seeing those photographs of the baby robin bathe, especially with the mum watching over him. It's good that you put water out there for them. It's not nearly as oppressively hot here, but it's warm enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mum didn't leave until the baby was done with his bath. I am not liking this heat and humidity. Too hot not to run the air-conditioning and too hot to spend very long outside. I feel very trapped in the house. I relish the odd day of cooler temps.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts