"How To Talk To A Little Baby Goat"

Look at that face! So adorable. What a time Janice and I had at Haute Goat! Warning: many, many photos! (Please click and make therm bigger!)
As you can see the weather was perfect on Wednesday. Haute Goat is a farm in Port Hope, Ontario. It is open to the public a few days a week with various workshops and "Shmurgling" held at certain times. Shmurgling is just a made up word for hugging, cuddling and smooching the animals
We arrived at 11:00 with the shmurgling to commence at 11:30. Anyone can come for a visit and wander around the 200 acres for free (there is a donation box!) but we paid extra to enjoy the shmurgling.
First up after being greeted by the four watchdogs was the alpacas. There were I think 6 females and a couple babies in the fenced area. We were told to approach them slowly and just talk softly. There were a half dozen kids on the tour with their parents. You know how that went! There was a small stampede as the kids dashed towards the alpacas. Debbie, one of the owners told everyone to stay put and they quickly calmed down.
The alpacas mostly just wanted to eat but were letting people touch them. A few people were spat upon as they got too close!
Not too bad a place for the alpacas!
Hard to get a photo of one of the babies as everyone wanted to see her.
Then it was on to the goats. They have a large barn and enclosed area to themselves. When we had all assembled by the barn the young lady (Nina I believe) let the goats out and off they dashed. Nina is a WWOOOFer. WWOOOF stands for World Wide Opportunities On Organic Farms. Nina had been there for two weeks and was doing two more. She had been to Colorado, Vancouver and a couple other places. Originally from China, Nina was heading back to finish her last year of university at the end of August.
This little one was born two and a half weeks ago. She was very content to cuddle in my arms. That was the first time I held a goat!
A better view of the great old barn the goats lived in. Debbie stated that they have lots of volunteers helping out (lady in pink t-shirt) and you could tell. Everything was so clean.
The goats were making the mad dash for the cedar trees. Apparently goats love cedar!
You had to watch where you stood or you would get bowled over in the rush!
Love his racing stripe!
Janice and Nina feeding cedar pieces.
Interesting facts about Nigerian goats.
Two males are kept in a separate area. They breed at certain times of the year. Debbie told us they keep two babies a year and sell the rest.
A lovely metal goat that was made for them. We visited with the goats for a half hour or so and then they were put back in their barnyard.
It was starting to get hot and was very buggy.  You should see my arms! The horses were swishing their tails continually.
Interesting facts about Icelandic horses.
This one was very friendly and enjoyed a nose rub.
All the chickens were hiding out under the bushes along with a duck friend.
Lots of yummy things to nibble on.
The quonset huts have been painted by a local artist.
If you make the photos bigger you can read the sign.
So cute!
After the tour we were told we could stay as long as we wanted and Debbie pointed out various trails around the farm. This was a field of pumpkins.
Imagine looking at this view everyday!
Buckwheat growing in a large field.
Goldenrod????
I. don't. know.
Blogger decided to put this photo here! One of the arrangements on a picnic table where Janice and I ate our lunch.
Back to the walk. Butterflies were everywhere!
Another farmer planted a HUGE field of buckwheat and then set up these bee hives on their land. The honey is available to purchase at Haute Goat. I tasted it. It is scrumptious!
The field of buckwheat. It was so quiet (it was a bit of a walk from the farm but Janice and I wanted to see it) as no one else came out you could hear all the bees buzzing in the flowers. It was heaven.
We ended up being there 3 hours and were the last to leave. In the store we tried goat fudge (OMG good!) goat cheese (Ditto!) and goat Carmel Corn. I really had to restrain myself from not buying some of everything. I did purchase some soap and hand cream which are lovely by the way. It was an incredible place and we will be going back. Janice and I are interested in a couple of the workshops this Fall.
On the way back we popped into Cobourg to do a few errands and of course headed for the water.
The beach was very busy with lots of swimmers. Janice and I stayed out on the pier which wasn't too busy.
A great day which I would do again in a heartbeat.
Ralph popped by for a visit a few days ago. Chuck and I were in the living room talking and I guess he heard us.
I picked up a case of food for the kitties and put the box on the floor to see if Miss Kitty would use it. She sat in it for five minutes or so washing.

Hope you enjoyed the photos and thanks for hanging in so long!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Robin

Comments

  1. Delightful! I was just at an alpaca farm, where there were only adults and none of us got spit on! I could imagine how magical it was to stand in that field of flowers and listening to the bees. Some friends of mine are real goat-a-holics, so I'm going to share your post on FB for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki, I saw your post about the alpaca farm. The kids were running around at first and that may have upset the alpacas. Debbie, the owner said the spit is "stomach contents" Lovely!
      It was magical standing in the buckwheat field. Absolutely quiet. Well, beyond the buzzing bees!
      Thanks for sharing my post.
      Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  2. Never too many pictures when they are like that. How I wish I could have been there.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Briony, I would have loved to share the experience with all of you! I know so many of you would have enjoyed it. I look forward to going back.
      take care!

      Delete
  3. That's as fantastic day. Alpacas are just too sweet. and I do love goats, though I worry about them as the internet has made them so popular and they do NOT make good house pets. I think more goat rescues will be needed in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, it was an incredible day! Yes, it seems more goat rescue's are needed. If you read "Knatolees World" you know how often she has taken in goats.
      Have a great day!

      Delete
  4. Aw! They are huggable for sure!
    It sounds like you are very good field trippers! What a great outing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pom Pom, everyone was very huggable including the owners! I think Debbie hugged Janice and I twice.
      Janice and I are both up for anything especially if nature is involved. I have been really blessed in the last three years to find two people (Janice and Kim) who love so many of the same things I do.
      Take care!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like the perfect day!! I love all the goats especially the black baby one you're holding. So sweet!!
    I didn't know Alpacas spit. I thought only Llamas did.
    If I remember right buckwheat honey is very dark and has almost an earthy taste. I didn't care much for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Granny Marigold, I can't begin to say how perfect it was! Animals, flowers, a long walk and yummy treats, who could ask for more!
      I didn't know alpacas spit either. This certain one, Feather I think her name was, is known for doing it.
      Buckwheat honey is very dark. Growing up my Dad brought home honey from a farm and this is what the buckwheat honey tasted like to me. I liked it but Janice didn't care for it either.
      Hope you are having cooler weather!

      Delete
  6. Oh Robin, how absolutely beautiful! I want to go there. It must have fun to hold the baby goats. Those Alpacas are so pretty! Wish I could get our little place to look like that farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Henny Penny, I would have loved you to be there! I should seriously think about planning out a tour and invite all the other lovely bloggers to come! Wouldn't we have a wonderful time???
      This farm had lots of volunteers to make it look so perfect. I was really surprised how clean it was.
      Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  7. How absolutely gorgeous, Robin! I love all the animals in your photos, and the art is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, so glad you enjoyed the photos! It was a fantastic day. I too liked the artwork on the sides of the buildings. The building were huge so it must have taken a long time to complete them.
      Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  8. I so want to spend the day with you especially when there's such horrible stuff going on in the world.
    Look at those goats! They're adorable. Cats, horses and wonderful sunny photos, too. Thank you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vix, it was wonderful to get away from all the problems in the world for a few hours. We all were concentrating on the animals and all the beauty around us with no mention of politicians or nutbars.
      I am really glad you enjoyed the photos. Surprisingly we saw no cats at the farm. That was a first!
      have a good weekend!

      Delete
  9. I don't know where to begin, so I'll just say, "Thanks for making me smile this morning!" I fell in love with baby goats at a cousin's farm in Northern Norway in May. They didn't seem to be too particular about how I talked to them. As long as I talked to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mitchell, thank you for your always lovely comments. I remember your post about the goats in Norway. It had been so long since I held a baby anything. I automatically started rocking him and just whispered in his ear. It was so relaxing even with all the other people around. Janice said I looked so happy.
      Have a good day!

      Delete
  10. Hello, I just love all the critters. The alpacas are adorable, I love the goats, horses and the chickens. Pretty views of the water. Awesome series of photos. What a great time! Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, so glad you enjoyed the photos! It was a tremendous day. I can't believe the generosity of the farm owners that you can come and just wander around the property for no fee. Yes, they do have a donation box and a small store but nothing is pushed on you and everyone is so welcoming.
      Have a wonderful weekend too!

      Delete
  11. What an absolutely glorious day you had, one of the best days of your life. :-)

    I can't possibly comment on everything, I'd be typing an essay. LOL. My favourite would have been spending time with the Icelandic horses, of course. I didn't know they could do a flying pace, you learn something new every day. (It was a bit distressing to read that originally the Nigerian goats had been brought along as food for the circus animals on the ships, though. Poor things. Poor circus animals too. But I won't think of that, that's long in the past.)

    Anyway, I'm glad the day was so amazing. You deserve to have good things like this in your life, Robin, to have fun. :-)

    Have a wonderful Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, you and I MUST do this some time! Even if we just go visit I would love to share this with you.
      Talk soon!

      Delete
  12. If you get up to Kingston area you should visit Natalie at bee meadow farms. Check out her website www.beemeadowfarm.com - she has great blog too. It's nice to see people who can rescue animals and do good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Seajaes, I've followed Natalie for the last few years. She and Gordon (and so many volunteers) do a wonderful job.
      I believe she is closer to Ottawa than Kingston. Someday I do hope to go to the Bee Meadow Farm Open House she has every year.
      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
    2. Yes, she's in the Cornwall area, isn't she? Up that way. Probably about 2 hours east of me, give or take. It would be wonderful to see her rescue too! (If you guys ever go, you HAVE to take me, Robin, I'm on the way!)

      Delete
  13. What is it about cats sitting in boxes? HAHA....to funny. Wow...looks like you had a great day. I loved seeing all your photos and following your day with you. Baby goats are so funny. I love horses. Great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, All cats no matter what size seem to love boxes!
      We did have such a fantastic day. Hopefully we can go again!
      Take care.

      Delete
  14. if i were close enough i would pay to smurgle for sure. and i would talk to them to. the first time i held a baby goat i could not believe how light they are. your photos are fantastic, i love anything with 4 feet and fur, even the spitting llamas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, I know so many of you would have loved to shmurgle too!
      The baby goat was light. I expected her to be much heavier.
      As you know I love anything with four feet and fur too.
      have a good day!

      Delete
  15. The goats are cute, but I'd have been drawn to the friendly horses, myself. :-)

    Mmmm, a stamped of children. Mmmm, are their parent's brain dead? Mmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luna, the horses were lovely but by the time we got to them it was getting rather hot and very buggy!
      I don't understand why the parents didn't stop their kids from running at the alpacas. It was a little scary when all the alpacas ran towards us!
      Be well!

      Delete
  16. Robin, I totally enjoyed these..I can see we would have a good time together. I don't even know where to start...the one flower is Goldenrod...the one below I see around here but I do not recall the name. I have either found the name or someone told me and for the life of me, I don't recall. I just read through all the comments to see if anyone else named it.

    I love the murals...love the flower arrangement.

    But, oh, how I would have loved to spend time with the animals. Always at the fairs, I liked to visit the animals and baby goats are just so appealing. And how wonderfully soft a horse's nose is. And I just love the smell of horses in general. Yep, I think you must have experienced a bit of heaven that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, you and I seem to enjoy so many of the same things. Who knows, one day we may meet!
      So many different flowers were out there, Janice actually knew (If you knew Janice you would realize how remarkable it was) that the white flower was buckwheat!
      The murals were wonderful and so large. hard to tell from the photos.
      You are right, it was a bit of heaven. I said the exact thing to Janice as we were standing in the buckwheat field.
      Have a good day!

      Delete
  17. What a wonderful place to visit. Oh that baby alpaca is the cutest thing.
    Enjoyed all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, it was an incredible place to visit. I want to go back with Chuck just to walk around the grounds again.
      The baby alpaca was adorable. She was making the cutest noise as she was being held.
      Glad you enjoyed the photos!
      Have a nice day!

      Delete
  18. What a lovely visit with the goats. And no trip to Cobourg is complete without a visit to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, we couldn't drive by Cobourg and not hit the beach!
      It was a wonderful time with the goats. We hope to go to another workshop there in the Fall.
      Take care!

      Delete
  19. What a fun farm, full of lovely animals. I LOVE the term Shmurgling, and will think of that often now, I believe. lol. Thank you for sharing such a delightful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcie, isn't shmurgling a perfect word? Gosh knows how they thought of it.
      So glad you enjoyed the photos. I loved taking them!

      Delete
  20. I want to cuddle/snuggle/hug the furry beasts too =)
    You tell such lovely stories...and accompany them with gorgeous photos!
    Ear scritches to Miss Kitty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie, so glad you enjoyed hearing about our day.
      We are so fortunate to live in such an interesting area of Ontario.
      Thanks for your kind words!
      Have a good day!

      Delete
  21. awesome awesome photos robin !!! thanx for sharing; I will be showing to my dad; he's always had an interest in goats....N wavez two ewe ralph N miss kitty from uz trouterz. ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, so glad you enjoyed the photos. I hope your Dad did too.
      I will pass along your waves to the kitties!

      Delete
  22. Oh my goodness!! Robin, the adorable-ness is off the charts!! I loved the photos. Thank you so much for taking the time to share them!!!! What a cool place!!
    xo
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn, it was an overload of cuteness wasn't't it???
      It is a wonderful place, so perfect for kids and adults alike.
      Have a great day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts