"Peaceful, Easy Feeling"

The last photos from Kim's visit last week. We drove along the Trent River and found this lovely spot. The water was shallow in here so we were able to walk out a bit.
There were many Yellow legs (thanks Linda!) but it was rather hard to see them as the sun was bright although it sure doesn't look it in this photo!
Such a beautiful place and we had it all to ourselves.
It was shortly getting time for Kim to leave so we headed back to town. We popped into one of our farm stands. They always have a wonderful Fall display.
A quick jaunt down a side road and we came upon three lovely horses.  Two came right over for a scratch and cuddle. The mare especially seem to appreciate the attention!
Most photos taken with old camera except butterfly pics.
On to the next adventure! Chuck and I had a short vacation in Niagara-on-the- Lake this past week. As we were driving to our Inn we came across a great Halloween display. There were a few old ( 1920's to 1930's) cars for sale and the seller had skeletons in them.
When my Dad passed away 8 years ago my Mum gave each (my brother, sister and I) of us a small container of his ashes. I thought it was time to let them go so Chuck and I went down to the beach at the end of my parent's old street. Dad and I loved to walk there. We were bending down to sprinkle the ashes on the sand when a GIANT wave soaked us. My Dad loved to joke around and would squirt you if he had a hose in his hand. So Dad had the last laugh and we were laughing as we watched his ashes drift out into the Lake.
Did you see the movie "Dead Zone"? Much of it was shot in Niagara-on-the-Lake (NOTL). Some scenes were shot here in this park. A gazebo was specially built by the movie crew and afterwards was left up as a thank you to the town. But over time it deteriorated and recently an exact replica was built in it's place.
In one scene an actor is standing in the same spot as Chuck is.
You can't visit NOTL without stopping at Greaves Jam. I have eaten this jam my whole life. We purchased a few jars and got some gifts for Janice who was looking after the house and kitties.
Early each morning we went out for a walk and  I snapped a few photos of interesting homes.
It was garbage day in NOTL. I spotted a table, chair and an interesting garden sculpture. But with our tiny car and all our luggage there was no way we could fit anything in the car. I was sad!
It is street after street of beautiful homes.
The Niagara Apothecary. It ran as a business from 1820 until 1964. Since then it has been a museum. It had just closed for the season a few days before we came.
Prince of Wales Hotel. What can I say? Absolutely beautiful.
This home was for lease. Looking online we saw there are quite a few for lease. Chuck and I are seriously thinking of leasing a cottage for a week next Spring.
There were a couple things I really wanted to do and visiting The Butterfly Conservatory was one of them. After watching a short film you head into the conservatory. I had my new camera out and the second we walked in a butterfly landed right on the lens.
It was lovely and warm in there and as it was early not too crowded.
A Blue Morph. Both sides of it's wings are beautiful.
Here is one with it's wings open. So hard to get as they flit around rather quickly.
Feeding stations were all around the conservatory.
According to the video butterflies only live two or three weeks.
The conservatory receives 100's of butterflies a week.
A couple landed on us. This one hung on to Chuck for a few minutes.
As you leave an employee checks you over to make sure no butterflies are leaving with you!
The Fall colours are just starting. This was just down the way a bit on the Niagara Parkway.
In a week or so this would be even more beautiful.
We went for long walks a couple times a day.
Spotted in a cottage garden!
For three days we really didn't listen to the news, just enjoyed where we were.
In a garden.
This home was looking over the Lake.
The Charles Inn! Overlooking the Lake and wonderfully fixed up. I remember this house from when I was a kid.
The famous clock tower.
Did you see the movie "Trapped In Paradise" with Nicholas Cage? Shot here in NOTL this building was used as a bank.
In the process of being fixed up.
Loved the cottages too.
I am assuming very old.
This was where we stayed for a few days, The Post House. Situated on a back street it was built in 1835 and operated as a post office until I think the 1850's. It was wonderful. Lovely room, incredible hosts who kept us well fed and couldn't do enough for us. Unfortunately the interior burnt sometime in the 1990's and only the outer shell was left. But the inside was rebuilt with all period items from all over the world.

I hope you are enjoying some wonderful Fall weather. As I type this it is pouring rain but we are to have a sunny, mild week.

Take care!
Robin

UPDATE---- I put up posters with Snowballs photo on and I heard from a lady this morning. He (we thought it was a she!!! Hard to tell with all the fluff) is owned and just likes to wander. IMO I think it is crazy to let him out! Just glad to know Snowball has an owner.

Comments

  1. Hello, your trip sounds awesome. I like the tour of of the town, beautiful homes and stores. The Hotel is lovely. I like the views of the water! I think your father would be happy with where his ashes are now resting. Great memories. The old truck with the skeleton is cool. I would love to visit the butterfly conservatory. Your butterfly photos are fantastic. Happy Sunday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, glad you enjoyed the photos! I too think my Dad is happy where his ashes are resting.
      Have a wonderful week too!

      Delete
  2. I love seeing all your photos. The old car with the skeleton literally made me laugh out loud. It looks like you had a lovely time at Niagra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee, we saw the skeleton as we were whizzing by and had to go back to see it closer up. It was a great display!
      Have a good day!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your adventures. Loved the grand old buildings and the friendly paint horse. Did Snowball's owner mention if that is his official name? A smashing photo journal, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Florence, glad you enjoyed the photos! Snowball's owner never mentioned what his real name is so I will continue to call him that.
      Have a great Tuesday!

      Delete
  4. wow wow wow and a big awesome on your butterfly pics. so beautiful sharp and clear. I love that pink home that you said was for lease. all of the homes are wonderful. the story of your dad slapping you with the wave made me laugh... a good memory to keep and remember when you see these photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, glad you enjoyed the butterfly pics. It was such a beautiful place to be. The pink house is gorgeous .I should look and see how much it is leasing for!
      I will always remember that moment when we we soaked by the wave. It makes me smile!
      Take care!

      Delete
  5. Oh, Robin, what wonderful photos! I couldn't even pick a favourite. Your new camera is fantastic, those butterfly pics are superb. I'm so glad you had such a great time, and that you were able to scatter your dad's ashes with joy and laughter. ❤

    As for Snowball, wow! He (okay, not she!) has a human? Well, I'm glad for that, but my goodness he's not exactly being well cared for, except by you. It's good you put the signs up and found out, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, glad you enjoyed the photos. I didn't realize until I posted and went back and saw there were 41 photos! I am happy to be able to remember scattering Dad's ashes with laughter not tears.
      I don't understand how Snowball's owner could be so lackadaisical about her kitty. He is probably crossing a couple streets and encountering all sorts of animals. With the colder weather coming I hope she keeps him inside.
      Have a good day!

      Delete
  6. What a Jam-packed post! (pun intended). I love all the house pics and the scenery and the butterflies. All so amazing. You have such delightful places to visit in Ontario. I think all our mountains take up too much room!!
    Good to know Snowball has an actual owner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Granny Marigold, so glad you enjoyed the photos. If you visit NOTL during peach season the whole town smells of peach jam, it is heavenly! I really feel blessed to live where we do.
      I am really glad to know Snowball is owned, rather neglectfully, but he has a home.
      Enjoy your day!

      Delete
  7. Good news about Snowball.
    Your pictures are so pretty. I enjoyed you sharing your trip with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mildred, glad you enjoyed the photos! We did have such a wonderful time.
      Take care.

      Delete
  8. Niagara on the lake is such a gorgeous place to visit. We were there a couple of years ago, and yes, we had to buy some jam from Greaves. How amazing to see all the butterflies. Last year we went to Bird Paradise in Niagara Falls, another grat place to visit. Good news about Snowball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, NOTL is so incredibly beautiful. It has been quite a few years (probably 8 or 9) since we visited and it changed in that short time. Greaves jam is delicious! My Dad was an electrical salesman and had a number of clients in NOTL so would pop into Greaves from time to time and pick us up jam. Luckily our local Sobey's sells it too. I will look into Bird Paradise. Sounds like my kind of place!
      Have a good day!

      Delete
  9. Robin, your photos are fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful and fascinating tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, glad you enjoyed the photos!
      Be well!

      Delete
  10. Wow what a wonderful post filled with beautiful pictures. Cool to be in with all those butterflies!!
    And those houses are fabulous. My favorite house though is the little white and black cottage. So charming. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, it was lovely to be with all the butterflies! We sat for awhile and they would fly all around us. Amazing to feel a butterflies wings brushing your face.
      The little cottage is charming. The gardens were gorgeous.
      Take care!

      Delete
  11. All wonderful photos but the butterflies were my favs! They always touch my heart, my mom's special symbol. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geraldine, I was so looking forward to visiting The Butterfly Conservatory and it didn't disappoint! We will definitely be visiting again. Lovely butterflies mean so much to you.
      Have a good day!

      Delete
  12. Robin; this post is awesome with a capitol Z az da tabbies say; who wanna chime in...snowball...dood...glad ya troo lee doez have peepulz.... the butterfly conservatory
    is AMAZING !!!!!!! and the brick house underneath the bath time cat.....how very
    fortunate to be able to call that one ...home !!!! and post card worthy; the
    aquamarine waters one~~~~ thanx for sharing ! ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oopz...PS....what a great Halloween idea; old cars and old bones !!!☺☺

      Delete
    2. Hi Laura, I am glad you enjoyed the photos! Tell the tabbies thank you for their good wishes for Snowball.
      The brick house is so beautiful. I couldn't even begin to photograph all the gorgeous homes.
      I really liked the old cars and skeletons too.
      Take care!

      Delete
  13. SO beautiful. All of it. Your Dad's parting shot (the soaking) made me smile. Glad it made you smile, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I was so worried I would be crying as I scattered my Dad's ashes. I know my Dad wouldn't want that so I was happy to be able to do it with joy. Glad it made you smile too.
      Take care!

      Delete
  14. Snowball's owner is okay with someone else feeding her cat? Weird.
    I believe your father sent that wave; shows he really isn't gone...you just cannot see him anymore.
    Great butterfly pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be thrilled with someone feeding my cat, but then I wouldn't have my cat roaming the neighbourhood.
      Glad you enjoyed the pics!

      Delete
  15. Oh, what beautiful homes, and that hotel...it is magnificent. But oh, how I would have loved to visit those butterflies! The thing with your dad's ashes...that touched me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, nice to hear from you. The homes are so beautiful! I couldn't begin to take photos of them all.
      The butterflies are gorgeous, it would be lovely to go there once a week in the winter.
      Have a good day!

      Delete
  16. So many gorgeous looking houses, very different from what we have here. Some amazing photos of the butterflies xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, isn't it interesting how different houses can be from country to country.
      Glad you enjoyed the butterfly photos!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts