Wind And Rain.

 For a change today Chuck and I decided to walk downtown. When we left the house if was sunny and just a light wind. Well, that certainly changed by the time we got downtown. Along the way we walk through a neighbourhood of houses built in the 1920's. Some have been restored but many of them are broken up into apartments. This house is an example. I think there is 7 apartments in it now. I love all the ironwork. I wonder how old the fancy shingles are. I keep forgetting to turn off the date code!
 The woodwork is mostly intact which is surprising for an apartment building. I do remember when there was a lighting rod on the top of the house.
 As we got closer to the water it got darker and darker. Only a couple of boats left at the marina.
 Lovely new building.
 It started to spit so we headed for home. Amongst the old homes is this abandoned one. So sad, it doesn't appear to be in too bad shape on the outside. But as we know with the Sad Stone House it could be a whole different story on the inside. Someone who shall remain nameless did not want me to climb up and peek in. The calico kitty totally ignored me.
 We were home before getting too soaked. I wanted to try a new recipe for Apple Cake. I haven't tasted it yet but it smells heavenly!
 I thought I might as well make a pot of applesauce too as we have so many apples. That I did taste and it is yummy!
I can't do a blog post without some sort of critter!

Take care and talk soon!
Robin

Comments

  1. Mmmm, that apple cake looks yummy! Bet your applesauce was good too. I must make more for myself, will throw in whatever leftover fruit I have around. It actually wasn't that bad a few weeks ago, putting it all through a sieve.

    That old house is great. Was is built as a single-family home, I wonder? We have a lot of the same sorts of buildings here, in various states of (dis)repair. My former cubicle-mate and her hubby are the ones who buy old buildings like this and restore them, rent the apartments.

    I can't imagine who didn't want you to peek in the old abandoned house. :-) Is anyone squatting in it? Maybe it's a meth lab now. No, that would have been discovered pretty quickly. The meth lab would in the affluent area of town.

    Anyway, here it is, only 6:20PM, and I feel like I'm ready to wind down and head to bed. LOL. That's the time change for you!

    Take care, have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, the apple cake turned out to be very yummy!
      The old house was built as a single family home. It is massive. It looks in really good shape so the owners must keep up on it. When my brother first left home he had a job at a radio station in Woodstock and lived in a similar type of house. In his apartment he had the original living room with a giant fireplace and lovely bay window. His bedroom was the original sun porch and was freezing in the winter.
      It did look like someone had been squatting at the abandoned house at one time. There was garbage all around the house and some raggedy curtains on the windows. So sad because it was once a lovely brick house.
      I was ready for bed at 7:30 last night! I fell asleep during "Six Million Dollar Man!" Terrible.
      Take care.

      Delete
  2. What great iron trim on that first house! Ontario has so many fine old houses compared to B.C. There are some in New Westminster. We used to go on the house tours that were held every Spring but I don't think they do them any more. Applesauce is a great idea for the apples I still have... the small ones I left for last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi G.M! The old house is in remarkable shape. To still have all the decorations, wood and iron is great.
      I still have enough apples for another batch of applesauce but have run out of room in the freezer for any more containers!
      Have a great day.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful old house. I wish they would build them like that these days. I suppose plain boxes are cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John. It is a great old house. I love walking in that neighbourhood and admiring the houses. When Chuck and I were first married we lived in a house that was built in the 1920's. The baseboards were 6 inches high and we still had the original clawfoot tub. I can't imagine a bathtub from this day and age lasting 60 years.
      Take care.

      Delete
  4. What beautiful details on the old building. Things just aren't made like that anymore.
    I read your reply to John and we too lived in an old house. It was built in 1900 and it too still had the original clawfoot bathtub! I loved that house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kareni wanted to take a few more photos of the house to show you even more beautiful details but it was starting to rain. Another time.
      I did love the house we first lived in too. It would seem very small now though!

      Delete
  5. That place in the first two pics is so gorgeous!! And the apple cake looks yum.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts