"Going To The Little Creek"

Chuck last weekend on Presquile Bay.

Good morning! Another rainy day here and rather mild. Incredible weather for the end of February.
Yesterday we headed out for the day. After visiting the Orono Antique Market and a couple other antique stores we popped over to Orono Park (also known as Buttercup Hollow) for lunch. I had packed a picnic lunch which we enjoyed beside Orono Creek. The park is nearly 100 years old and is just beautiful no matter what time of year..
The old water tower in the park. This area originally was a tree nursery and this tower was needed to supply water for the trees. It was declared a historical structure so can not be torn down.
The Orono Creek. We have had quite a bit of rain in the last week. You can see on the banks how high the water was during the rain storms.
We had a quick walk along Lake Ontario too.
Beautiful barns all along Old Highway 2.
Love the rusty roof.
VIA train running along Lake Ontario.
This gull kept us company as we stood on the beach.
Winding through some back roads I remembered an old factory was along here somewhere.
We stumbled upon it and I got out to take some photos.
The first thing that greeted me was starlings chattering along with a few red winged blackbirds trilling( ? I don't know if that is the right word!) This is the earliest I have heard red winged blackbirds. They were perched in a grove of pine and cedar trees so I couldn't get a photo. Is this contraption something for grain or corn??
Back at home later in the afternoon a few birds were visiting.
I had put out some pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries for the cardinals to enjoy.
Down on the bay last weekend.
This morning a very soggy blue jay.
After today's rain we are in for a great week. This is Chuck's last week off so we will be enjoying as much time as possible outside.
Hope you are enjoying some good weather too.
Take care.
Robin

Comments

  1. Hello, I always enjoy seeing the pretty bird. Love the Cardinal. That tower looks like it could fall any minute. Enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, glad you enjoyed the photos! Apparently the town doesn’t want people getting too close to the tower. We were quite a ways back from it and I zoomed in.
      Have a good week!

      Delete
  2. Ditto, they might not be able to take that tower down, but at some point it looks like it will come down on its own.

    Good shot of the gull and the other birds! And I love that old door, of course. I want to peek inside. :-)

    Great to see a post, Robin, take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the tower has been leaning for some time but I won't be standing under it any time soon!
      Have a good day!

      Delete
  3. You captured some wonderful pictures. I enjoyed looking at the all.
    We are having the same kind of weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, it has been the weirdest weather this winter! I hope you house building hasn't been too affected by the weather, can't wait to see it when it is finished!

      Delete
  4. The female Cardinal seems to be frowning and saying " Pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries? Is that all I get?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true Granny marigold. They do look rather crabby!

      Delete
  5. All the creeks and rivers around here are running high!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, I've never seen the creek this high at this time of year. Hopefully we won't have another Spring with massive flooding!

      Delete
  6. Lovely day out. Love the old buildings.structures. Great bird photos including a kingfisher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, it was so lovely to get away for the day. We have so many great parks in this area.
      Take care!

      Delete
  7. I love the photo of the swan on the snow. The water tower looks like it wouldn’t be safe to go to close to xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, the swan was being very cooperative and posing nicely for me. I didn't get too close or I am sure it would have flown off.
      Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

      Delete
  8. Always such beautiful photos. You've got an exceptional eye and wonderful views. I wouldn't walk under that water tower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mitchell, you are always so kind! We are, I feel, very blessed to live where we do. Although I don't think I would be too upset to live where you do!

      Delete
  9. another awesome post today Robin !! enjoyed all the photos; especailly the lake and
    stream....I hope you and chuck have an awesome last week and your weather holds
    enjoy; the tabbies send whitefish wavez two de crew ! :) ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Kim has said on a few occasions I do seem to LOVE water. I grew up one block from Lake Ontario and we frequently played on the beach.
      Chuck and I have enjoyed our last week together before he goes back to work.
      Much love to the tabbies!

      Delete
  10. We've heard from many that the red-winged blackbirds are here, and that means Spring isn't too far away...yay! Have you had any snowy owl sightings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki, I myself haven't seen any snowy owls but others in town have. Probably if we went to our local lakeside park we would see one there.
      Have a good day!

      Delete
  11. It is so good to see the demise of snow and open water. It gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jono, yes, I can feel Spring is on the way. The sun is so strong now. Even if we do get more snow I know it won't stick around long!
      Take care.

      Delete
  12. I love the name of Buttercup Hollow. Very Anne Shirley ♥ Makes me want to go there.
    I can't believe you had a picnic in February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie, I love the name Buttercup Hollow too! The park has a large sign as you drive in with that name on it and a lovely rendering of a field of buttercups.
      We weren't the only ones picnicking beside the creek. Another man came and pulled out his lunch too. We were warmly dressed and the sun was out so it wasn't too bad. I am always just so happy being in nature!
      Take care!

      Delete
  13. Wonderful photographs - the weather does look considerably colder than over here. From towers, river and lake to old buildings and birds, each one delighted my eye. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just stopping by to say hi. It's been a while since you've posted. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts