Not the way you want to meet your local Firefighters

 A quiet Saturday afternoon turned suddenly chaotic. I was making supper and Chuck said "I am just going to turn over the Maverick and run it for a few minutes". I heard him crank the engine and it started. For some reason I went to the door that separates the house and garage and opened it. Chuck had just leapt out of the car and flames were underneath the car. He yelled "Call 911" I slammed the door shut and raced to the phone. As I was making the call the flames got worse. Chuck jumped back in the car, put it in neutral, went around to the back of the car and hauled it out of the garage and down the driveway.
 A neighbour came racing over with a fire extinguisher and put the fire out on the garage floor. A passing motorist jumped out of his car with another extinguisher and went at the flames under the car. By this time I was back outside and the fire department was on their way. We could smell gas and our neighbour said "It's going to go again" Two seconds later a big whoosh and it was burning again. The passing motorist went back under the car and put it out again. The volunteer firefighters were here by this time and took over.
We assume a gas line ruptured and when Chuck started the car it ignited. Chuck is probably 135 soaking wet. How he hauled a 2800 pound car is incredible. The firefighters said because of his quick thinking he saved our home. He is my HERO!
We managed to get a few hours sleep but we are still shaky today. All insurances have been notified. We have lots of cleaning to do today!
Not the post I had planned today but thankfully we are all alright and the only thing damaged was the car. One of the neighbours who is an old car nut said " Oh, you must be devastated to lose your car!" I replied "I don't give a s@#t about the car. The most important thing in my world is that man standing there"
Hug those you love today.
Robin

Comments

  1. I am so thankful for you and your household, very quick thinking indeed by Chuck, well done to him, and how kind of those people to assist before the fire service came through. I can't imagine the shock you must still be in. Greetings and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. We have stopped shaking now and are overwhelmed by all the neighbours offering help in any way.
      Take care.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry that happened. I'm relieved that no one was injured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, I'm so grateful neither Chuck nor you was hurt. I still would be shaky today too, frankly. I'm glad that you live in a good neighbourhood with people so willing to help. Boy, there was an "angel" on both your shoulders yesterday, that's for sure! Lots of hugs, and purrs from the boys too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true Kim! Someone was watching over us.I so appreciate talking to you last night too.
      I sure could use some of those hugs from your boys!
      Take care and talk soon.

      Delete
  4. wow a hero indeed! amazing the strength you have when adrenaline is flowing, the car can be replaced, your man cant. some quick thinking from him saved both yourselves and the house! well done him and all the neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Summer he really is a hero! I was so scared he would be burned. We are so fortunate with our great neighbours.

      Delete
  5. Sure glad no one got hurt. What a scary thing and glad you all were quick thinkers and got the fire dept. there so fast. You are very lucky people. Have a good Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. Thank God for the quick thinking of Chuck and those good Samaritans who stopped to help.
    God was watching over you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God definitely was watching over us. Chucks military fire fighting training just kicked in and he knew what he had to do.

      Delete
  7. oh my thank goodness no one was hurt. Is the car a write-off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to say Gill but we sure don't want it. We purchased it as a survivor car, all original. I don't know how they would even find some of the parts to repair it. The engine is toast, it needs to be painted, the list goes on.

      Delete
  8. Echoing the previous comments....so very glad your husband is okay and no damage to your house. An incident like this is a wake-up call to all of us to not take life for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely G.M. The garage is smelly and sooty but the insurance company is sending someone today.

      Delete
  9. OMG! What a story. So happy it ended well with quick thinking husband, neighbour and passerby. Whew. That's scary. Happy you're all okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ronna, it is not something we care to repeat!
      Have a great week.

      Delete
  10. oh thank God you are all ok and the house too! I can't believe Chuck got back into the car!
    catchatwithcarenandcody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very frightened Caren having to dash back into the house to phone 911 and not knowing what was happening in the garage. It felt like 5 minutes had passed before I could go see what was happening but it probably was only a minute.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts