"Moments In Time"

 This morning I was thinking about how many photographs I have taken over the last year or so. Probably a couple thousand. Split second remembrances of daily life. I guess that's why I hang on to old photos. A moment in time saved.
As we continue to pare down our possessions, I am having many mixed emotions. If you are a long time reader of my blog you know I tend to hang onto things. Chuck and I were recently going through a tote full of our childhood toys. I still have my Barbie! Crazy, I know. I imagine if we had children I would have passed it along to a daughter, then granddaughter if it survived that long.
My Mum was a fantastic sewer and made many of my Barbie clothes. These were from her purple phase. Even my bedroom was purple!
This was my favourite dress and shawl. Love the geometric pattern.
Did anyone else have a case for their dolls? Yes, I still have it! I am having a hard time with the thought of just tossing it in the garbage. The Barbie, from 1966, is in rather sad shape. No toes or fingers.
My Dad always wore a suit to work so my Mum would visit our local dry cleaner on a weekly basis. The gentleman who owned the store made doll furniture on the side. I remember seeing this set sitting on the counter when I went in one day with my Mum. I remember she boosted me up to take a closer look at it. Obviously she went back later and bought the set because I received it for Christmas that year.
It is made from tin cans. The detailed work must have taken the gentleman hours to do. I am struggling in deciding what to do with it. One of our local thrift stores "Bibles For Missions" has a monthly auction where they put the antiques that are donated to the store. I am thinking this is where I will donate these items.
Visiting the store today I found another copy of  "The Country Diary Of An Edwardian Lady" My original copy is a small, tattered paperback one. This copy is a mint, hardback edition. I love her drawings and observations of nature throughout the year 1906. For $1.00 I couldn't pass it by.
I also picked up this funny, little book. Lots of hints and the sketches are very sweet.
Speaking of sweet, Sweet Pea made himself right at home yesterday. He came in for a snack and dashed into the living room when my back was turned. This morning I walked out onto the deck and found feathers blowing around. Someone was busy! No wonder he didn't rush to the door to come in  for breakfast.

We continue getting settled into our new home. Tomorrow the weather is not supposed to be good so I will be catching up on some baking and Chuck is installing new brakes and some front end bits on my Mustang. Sunday we are attacking the gardens again. I want to plant tulips here and there around the yard so I must get the garden beds ready. The last three homes we have owned most of my gardens were in the shade. Now they are mostly in the sun so I am gardening very differently. I am noticing what the neighbours (gorgeous gardens!) have planted and plan to copy some of it.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Robin


Comments

  1. Oh, you can't toss out the doll case or clothes. Donating those and the doll furniture is a great idea. You don't have to get rid of things that mean so much to you, though. Only if/when you're ready!

    Great thrift store finds, especially the country diary.

    And Sweet Pea...! Well, he's certainly laid claim to your furniture, and probably your house too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, I forgot to hit reply!. I replied to you below Kim!

      Delete
  2. Like you Kim we are thinking of the future when we will have a much smaller house. The stuff has to go sometime. Chuck and I are too sentimental about things. You read on organizing websites to just take a photo of the item and then throw it out or donate it. That is what we should be doing.
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a picture would work, but as I've decluttered and donated over the years, I've realized we let things go when we're ready to. My $0.02 is to not force the issue. Toss out the "shoulds" and donate what feels right *at this time*.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kim! After sleeping on it I don't think I am ready quite yet!

      Delete
  3. As a doll collector, I swooned at the sight of your beautiful Barbie clothes and furniture, even the case is gorgeous. There's quite a call for these vintage clothes and accessories so please don't toss anything, I'm sure they will be gladly received by the charity, but only when you're ready to let go.... I'm not good at letting things go, bit too sentimental xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice Cheryl! I don't know that I am ready to let them go yet. I will have a look at eBay and see what I can find comparable. Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  4. I'm adding my advice to what has been said. Don't be in a rush to get rid of sentimental things. When you hit your senior years you might wish you'd kept at least the main items.
    That Sweet Pea has made himself at home. He's a good looking one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi G.M. As I mentioned to Cheryl, I don't think I am quite ready yet to get rid of it all. I have been toting it around for 40+ years now, what is a few more? My Mum, when she moved in with my brother, gave me a small, very pretty plate. It is a beautiful antique plate she saw in a store window when she was 14 years old so 70 years ago. She had just started working and on her first pay day she went back and got it. That I will hang on too!

      Delete
  5. I still have a few of my old toys from childhood. I can't seem to part with them, as they are a part of me. And I have a hardbound copy of "Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady", too. The illustrations are superb and the descriptions can't be bettered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great description, these few toys are a part of me.
      The Diary is a gorgeous book. I love just to pick it up at random and check to see what was happening on this day in 1906.

      Delete
  6. I love the Barbie doll clothes and furniture. Sounds like your heart wants to hold on to them for a while =)
    Ear scritches to Sweet Pea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will keep them for awhile longer. I will pass along the scritches to Sweet Pea!
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  7. Sweet Pea is beautiful! As are your hand-sewn Barbie outfits. I still have my Barbies in a shoebox somewhere, along with a few of the clothes my mother made for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie, I am so glad to read that someone else still has their Barbie. I was thinking I was the only one!
      Sweet Pea is a cutie and is making himself right at home.

      Delete
  8. I had the same Barbie case, but mine was solid pale pink. I "ran away from home" when I was about seven. Packed up my Barbie case and walked around the block (forbidden territory when out alone!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, thanks for stopping by. Your story made me laugh! I think I remember doing the same thing. Couldn't be without our Barbies!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts