"I Like Birds"

I missed Squirrel Appreciation Day! I don't know how that happened. Consider this my Squirrel Appreciation post. They definitely are spoiled around our house.
We received a bit of snow yesterday and they were waiting for me out in the backyard for peanuts. I complied!
In looking up a title for today's post I came across "I Like Birds" The video from the song by The Eels is on YouTube. Rather strange song but I was reading about the story behind it. The lead singer's Mom died from lung cancer in 1998. She was an avid birder so when she passed away he brought all her feeders and birding books to his home. He set up the feeders and read the books and found he liked birds too. So the song is a tribute  to his Mom.
You may remember my Dad was an avid birder too. I do think about my Dad as I am filling my feeders. We had a large backyard at home growing up. About one third of it was vegetable gardens, another third flower gardens and the rest was lawn. We had two huge catalpa trees in the lawn section. From one of the branches hung a large wooden bird feeder. In our basement in a barrel my Dad kept the bird seed. Every morning he filled up a jug with seed and went outside to fill the feeder. Often I would do it too. When my Dad became ill my Mum continued to fill the feeders. The feeder was probably 20 feet from the dining room window where  we had a perfect view of it while we were eating. My Dad and I spent many happy hours watching and identifying the various birds visiting the feeder.
Look who popped in for a visit! Snowball. Chuck wasn't home so she had to make do with me. She eat quite a bit and I tried to clean her face up but she wasn't too happy with that. In the photo it looks like I am holding her down, I'm not. I was scratching behind her ears. She stayed for 15 minutes or so and then was on her way.
She toddled off through the snow to visit someone else I imagine.
It was so strange Tuesday to stand outside while it was snowing and hear a Robin chirping.

Take care!
Robin

Comments

  1. I recently found that song, too. I think I may even have used it on my blog. And, yes, rather strange song, but touching. One of the few things I miss about living in Connecticut is the ability to have loads of bird feeders outside to feed all the different winter visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for dropping by! It is a very touching song especially when you know the story behind it.
      We lived in an apartment for maybe a year of our 33 year (so far!) marriage. We were not allowed to have feeders. I was not a happy camper that winter!

      Delete
  2. I love this body. Love the story behind the song, I Like Birds, and your personal story of bird lovers in the family. My mom faithfully fills feeders too as I believe her parents did before her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcie, thanks for your kind words. It is interesting how the love of birds is passed down…or not! My brother doesn't care for birding. He is a big animal lover though which we also inherited from my parents.

      Delete
  3. The back story behind the song is lovely, a wonderful way to honour his mother.

    I like all the colour in your pics with the berries. So vibrant in an otherwise grey world right now. (I swear this winter is like being in Halifax all over again, with all the fog, freezing rain, etc. Bleh. Give me sunshine!)

    Snowball doesn't look like she's suffering with just your attention instead of Chuck's. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, the song is interesting and the video is wacky but when you really listen to the words it is meaningful.
      How many days since we have seen the sun??? Although Chuck said yesterday in Trenton it was sunny for about 40 minutes. Not here! You are correct, it does feel like a Halifax winter!
      I usually don't pick Snowball up, Chuck does. She is heavy and big. She does love to cuddle.
      Have a good day!

      Delete
  4. BTW, you probably can remove the "Fuzzy Tales" blog link from your sidebar! I just noticed it. I can't imagine I'll ever post there again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your pictures of the squirrels and the birds too. Good to see Snowball too. You all have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marg, my old camera still appears to have some life in it!
      Take care.

      Delete
  6. I don't think I have ever seen a black squirrel. How interesting.

    YOu have the fun of interaction with cats, without the worry of care of them. :-)))))) The best of both worlds.

    Gentle hugs and blessings,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by!
      We have a few different colour squirrels here. Black obviously, grey and occasionally albino squirrels. Then we have chipmunks and little red squirrels too.
      Chuck and I aren't ready for another pet yet and I don't know if we ever will be. I happily feed the neighbourhood cats and enjoy spending time with them

      Delete
  7. Great photographs! I love feeding birds. I keep thinking I will put up some feeders at Jason's. I don't have space for them in an apartment, but maybe some day... That was very interesting about the song! I will have to look that up.
    xo
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn, thanks!
      I hope you do put up some feeders at Jason's. If he has any cats they would love it too.
      Have a great weekend Lynn.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely memory of your Dad and how nice that you shared the love of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have the best pictures. I would love to have a cat like Snowball. There are two that live at out Vet's office. They are huge cats and look a lot like Snowball. Sounds like your dad was such a good man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Henny! Snowball is a sweetheart, very loving. And she is HUGE! I don't think she realizes how big she is. She will knock something over as she walks by, then look so surprised.
      My Dad was a very kind, loving man. We knew every day of our life that he loved us and would do anything for us. He was the best!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for visiting our blog! Love your squirrel, bird and kitty pics. We have black, grey and brown squirrels on our backyard, and lots of feathered friends too. We don't feed the birds, because the cats are really good at hunting. So sorry for the loss of your father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for popping over to mine! I appreciate it.
      I imagine your kitties love watching all the wildlife you get in your backyard. I know some of the other cat bloggers can't have feeders either. It would be like a take-out for the kitties!
      Thanks for your kind words concerning my Dad.

      Delete
  11. I am intrigued with those pretty black squirrels yall have there! Never see those here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We seem to be overrun with black squirrels.....and grey ones......The black ones are very pretty. Their fur always looks so glossy.
      Have a nice weekend!

      Delete
  12. Wonderful memories you have of your Dad.

    The song and video by the Eels made me smile. I like knowing how the song came to be written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am very blessed to have wonderful memories of my Dad.
      The song and video are rather wacky but to know the story behind it makes you realize how much he loved his Mum. Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  13. We welcome all at our feeders! A lovely cat. We have several catalpa trees in our front, lots in the forest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn, you do get every kind of animal at your feeders! I do love catalpa trees, they smell so heavenly when they are flowering. The sticky flowers afterwards are no fun though!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts